Linda Sparrowe con Yoga Mama: The Practitioner's Guide to Prenatal Yoga
The first pre- and postnatal book geared specifically to experienced yoga practitioners—from an established author, with contributions from the leaders in the field.
You've been practicing yoga for years. It is a part of the way you live, move, and breathe. And then . . . you get pregnant. Pregnancy can throw any woman a curve ball. Even established and experienced yoga practitioners will likely find that their body, mind, and practice are challenged during pregnancy, birth, and motherhood. This book is the yoga practitioner's companion through this period, offering practical advice, step-by-step asana sequences, pranayama practices, and meditation techniques, all of which are designed to help new mothers connect more deeply to their experience and prepare for their journey—physically, mentally, and spiritually.
Grounded in both ancient wisdom and contemporary knowledge, Yoga Mama covers each trimester, labor and birth, and the postpartum years. The beautifully photographed sequences include modifications and suggestions to accommodate a growing belly and to address the concerns or challenges that may arise during this time. Holistic and ayurvedic medicine perspectives help women understand what is happening in their bodies at every juncture, and personal stories connect them to pregnant women everywhere. Through practice, self-reflection, and learning how to let go, yoga gives us the opportunity to be an active, informed participant in the birthing of our baby and a healthy, happy parent.
Yoga Mama is the perfect companion for the experienced yoga practitioner during her pregnancy and on into motherhood. This pre- and postnatal book offers practical advice and inspiration, asana sequences, pranayama practices, and meditation techniques, all of which speak to and help new mothers connect more deeply to their experience and prepare for their journey--physically, mentally, and spiritually. Grounded in ancient wisdom and contemporary knowledge, the book covers each trimester, labor and birth, and the postpartum years.
• Flowing sequences that emphasize self-awareness and promote strength, flexibility, and balance
• Modifications that accommodate a pregnant woman's growing belly, recalibrate her balance, and honor fluctuations in her energy levels
• Mini sequences for specific trimester challenges: morning sickness, fatigue, anxiety, low-back issues, etc.
• Asana, pranayama, and meditation practices designed to deeply connect mother and baby from the beginning of pregnancy through the postpartum years
• A dedicated section on the pelvic floor to encourage women to let go and prepare for labor and birth
• Special breathing techniques for labor that encourage natural childbirth
• Deeper practices and ancient teachings that can help women tap into their strength and create a prenatal and birthing experience that is empowering and unique
• Postpartum advice and sequences designed to help knit things back together, address postpartum challenges, and offer tips for bonding, nursing, self-care, and nutrition
• Information (from a Western holistic and ayurvedic perspective) on what is happening in the body at every juncture--prenatal, labor and birth, and postpartum
• Personal advice and stories from a wide array of pre- and postnatal experts
With contributions from:
• Elena Brower: founder and director of Virayoga in New York City, prenatal teacher for YogaGlo.com, and author of Art of Attention
• Stephanie Snyder: teacher in San Francisco, pre- and postnatal teacher for YogaGlo.com
• Jane Austin: pre- and postnatal yoga teacher, midwife, childbirth educator, and director of Mama Tree prenatal teacher training programs in San Francisco
• Margi Young: OM yoga teacher in New York and San Francisco
• De West: pre- and postnatal yoga teacher and childbirth educator in Boulder
• Dustienne Miller: certified physical therapist and Kripalu yoga teacher in Boston
• Kate Hanley: OM yoga teacher, mind-body coach, and author of The 28 Days Lighter Diet
• Melissa Billie Williams: pre- and postnatal teacher and director of Yoga Junction studio in Louisville, Colorado